Monday 14 September 2009

Day one: what was I so worried about?

First day at school. I can't remember my first 'first day at school' but if today was anything to go by I don't know how 5 year olds cope. I am exhausted!
My 26 and a bit year old body was wired today though. It feels like this is what I've been waiting for; what I've been made for. Starting drama school has been a long time coming for me. I've been a keen actress for as long as I can remember (plays in my parents living room and all) but this year for the first time I have felt confident enough to pursue it fully. I auditioned for 4 schools and knew when I stepped out of my first audition with Guildhall that it was very special. This blog is going to be difficult to write because there is a lot that you just can't put into words; how something makes you feel, what it is to need to do something... and for me: what happens in that moment as an actor when you 'get it'. Anyway in the audition with Guildhall I 'got it' and something clicked. I knew I would be pushed there and I chose the course because the teachers were incredible.
Day one has not been a disappointment on that account.
I can't say we 'did' much. You can't expect to come to drama school and do stuff all the time - its not about acting 24/7 - you could do that in any amateur company and be in play after play if you like. This is about taking the time to be very particular and very obsessed with your craft. A musician at Guildhall has probably already spent years learning and practicing their instrument. In the same way an actor needs time with their voice and their body (their 'instrument') and to make it as well oiled and ready as possible so as to be able to take on any job and complete it reliably and brilliantly.
For that reason I discovered today that we aren't technically allowed to take part in certain physical activities; especially those which risk injury so running, football and going to the gym are out of the equation (oh well no more hard core sessions on the weights for me then... darn)We're allowed a bit of swimming and salsa so every cloud and all that. No one is going to be following us round in case we decide to have a cheeky football match but we are encouraged not to take part in those sports which I found fascinating as it wouldn't have occurred to me just how much you need to take care of your body as an actor.
Patsy Rodenburg is our voice coach and she is nothing short of a genius. She is one of those women who spout non stop wisdom pearls so I won't go into listing them now but one thing which stuck with me today was when she pointed out that actors are almost impossible to live with because 'they're obsessed'. We are obsessed with improving ourselves and our work. And that is exactly what I'm doing at drama school. I'm going to be obsessed. I'm going to make sure I do obsess over the work and improving myself and it. I'm going to be a right geek about it all - because 15 hour days (which is what our movement teacher warned us was to come today) will need a very alert, ready 26 year old body in the room.
Let the obsession begin....

No comments:

Post a Comment